Came down from Cambridge to work for my patrons, the Tallis family.  Had a top time at Cam, really did.  Looking to apply for Medical school - Mr. Tallis says he'll support me, top bloke.  I have to say, life's just going pretty damn well at the moment.  Ma's well, so's Ceclia.  God, did I tell you about her? What a crumpet.  Unfortunately, we had a bit of a spat down by the fountain today with a rather valuable jug of hers.  So, I decided to write her a letter this afternoon to apologise.  I ran a bath to think things through and faff myself silly (reimagining her in that slip by the fountain - God!) and bashed it out on the typewriter.  Had a giggle to myself though - a hoax letter in which I wrote that I want to kiss her 'sweet, wet c**t'.  Inspired!  Perhaps the steam of the bath cleared me out - it did me the world of good!  I wrote a slightly more acceptable letter and popped it in an envelope.  Luckily, I ran into Briony on the way over for din, said she should pass on the letter.  Looking forward to a lovely evening.  What could go wrong?

Robbie Turner, Upper-Middle Class Suburbia, 1935.