I've moved into my new place in Long Island (not on the damn subway) next to the house of a dubious specimen called Jay or Jeffrey or Jeremiah or something. An air of suspicion hovers about him: some say he saved a baby and mauled to death a polar bear in Svalbard; others conjecture he dealt in the illegal trafficking of elk spleens in pre-WWI Serbia; a small contingent even claim him to be the true inventor of instant coffee and the crossword puzzle.

Despite the mist cloaking his origins and business activities, he is a typical ‘self-made man’ – by which I mean an arriviste wanker who keeps turning up in my driveway in his souped-up Fiat Punto wearing a croquet blazer. Who the fuck drives a Fiat Punto wearing a croquet blazer? I don’t care if it’s the ‘Jazz Age’ or whatever; it’s no excuse to look like a tosser. I’m quite adamant about this.

Anyhow, the man’s invited me a couple of times to ‘come ride’ in his ‘two-seater aeroplane and enjoy the wild thermals over the Atlantic, old sport.’ Interpreting his invitation as a sordid euphemism, as is prudent, I’ve instead spent most of my off-days in the exhausting company of a lady golfer who grunts louder than the doughtiest tennis femme. My neighbour, on the other hand, is sweet for this posh mid-western filly – Daisy or Deidre or Diocletian, dunno – who likes nothing more than to run over poor women in fast cars, like the veritable New York society woman she is fast becoming.

To impress this questionable hussy – she keeps going on about her baby (nobody fucking cares) – my neighbouring vulgarian keeps throwing large house parties. Throughout the preceding day one sees vans revving up to his doorway delivering endless cases of Bud Light. I roughly surmise the idea to be to get the lady so rat-arsed she’ll say yes to a ‘ride’ in his ‘two-seater aeroplane and enjoy the wild thermals’. Wicked cad that he is.

Nick Carraway
, West Egg, Long Island, Summer of 1922.